10.18.2006

A day

August 10, 2006

I couldn't sleep last night. the late night to early morning partiers made a Tuesday pale in comparison to my Fridays. I awoke at 5:30 a.m. thinking it was Lexington Club, but realized it was the noisy girls next door taking no heed of the cacophonous laughter and seemingly drunk need to roar out each next desperately important statement they had to make.

I left at 8:45 a.m. having drowned in the last few hours of precious sleep. The day was of gold uncommon for such early hour. I was momentarily transported back to the days of Barcelona, to a time when no schedule was needed and the activity was determined by the shade of day and mood. But I came to knowing this was not a day of play, and that serious work awaited at USF.

We dined at Alison's and mostly I enjoyed speaking with her mother. She playfully delighted in jesting with her husband.

I caught myself wishing to create the opportunity to better know Janice, too. But I did not want to force the opportunity, only to heed the ones that came of naturally. We did speak and I shared my intent to invite her to things. She mentioned she'd take me to San Quentin and offered me her take on the maladies of the prison system. I'm not much of one for jails, but I'd go and it would be something new and of interest.

Tomorrow, we train our new Ambassadors. I wrote out each of their names for an activity today, and the thought came to me that new relationships were on the horizon.

I am not tired but really need to rest for the upcoming day.

1 comment:

andrea said...

I caught myself wishing to create the opportunity to better know Janice, too. But I did not want to force the opportunity, only to heed the ones that came of naturally. ---great line....i love those moments and always hope for the bliss of naturality and sometimes wish everyone got that