10.18.2006

Forgiveness Relinquishes Hurt

That this 'wasn't what you expected,'
that line still rings in my mind
trying to figure out what you had expected
I can't even conjecture

That I still love you...
but because of how things turned out
it can't be for me to stay connected.
That I wish I could, but it would just mean
that what happened never, or still doesn't bother me,
but it just does. I wish it didn't, but it just does.

It hurts to be a part of you, so even though
I want to be a part, it's best not to be.
That the friendship ring, continuous and eternal
cannot be broken, but its radius from the intimacy
of its midpoint is increased. And though love never
fails, the closeness is no longer there.

God must still love "the devil." The devil has merely
distanced himself from God by pride. Forgiveness
could bring them close again, but pride keeps one from
admitting fault, from repenting, from confessing,
from seeking forgiveness.
Pride is selfishness, self-protection, fear of hurt,
and yields distance, yields callousness and anger
and defensiveness--even offensive attack.

The truth is that everyone can hurt--a blinding hurt--
but one must hold sight that hurt can only be
reconciled through the process of forgiveness.

No comments: